Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ch. Six: 3. Valid and weak forms of arguments using conditionals

In chapter six, one concept stood out to me to be very commonly used in day-to-day life. This concept is called valid and weak forms of arguments using conditionals. The way this concept works as follows: If A, then B. A, therefore B. I can use an example of this concept for an incident that took place just this past weekend at my house. My roommates and I live in a townhouse that is surrounded by other town homes, in a gated community, and with a Home Owners Association. Some of the ruled the ROA pointed out to us was that if we were loud, they would file a noise complaint with our landlord. On Saturday my roommates and I invited some friends over to our house, there were several of us and we were being pretty noisy, to the point where I know the neighbors would be able to hear us. The next day one of the women on the ROA board came to our house and said she was going to file a noise complaint with our landlord. This situation follows the formula If A, then B. A, therefore B. If we were loud, the landlord would receive a noise complaint, we were loud, and therefore a noise complaint was filed.

1 comment:

  1. I really like dhow you have organized your thoughts and things you have learned from this chapter.I like how you gave a real life example, interesting. I agree with your example how it shows and proves the content of topic conditionalIf A, then B. A, therefore B. If we were loud, the landlord would receive a noise complaint, we were loud, and therefore a noise complaint was filed. Over all great job.

    ReplyDelete