Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Advertising on the Internet


Most websites are totally free to browse, no membership fees or anything like that. So how do we expect elaborate website like Facebook and Twitter to keep up and always flourishing? It's those little advertisements on the side of your screen that are paying these social networking to post up their products. It's almost scary how accurately aimed these ads will be. For instance on Facebook it will suggest I go sell my Forever 21 clothes online. This is something i would definitely be interested in, I do shop at consignment stores and I have sold my clothes to places like Crossroads before, so they are definitely advertising to the right person! Relating to part A In Chapter 5, I can see a connection in that the advertisement is saying, "Join women like you," I could go on and on and try and ask questions like, "What do you mean women like me? Women in college? Women who work full time? 20 year old women?" As written in this advertisement it is just assumed that because I am young and female that I enjoy fashion and shopping. I can either click the link because I agree or I can just keep clicking by it and looking at another friend's page instead. Concerning part B of Chapter 5, personal experience with second hand shopping has been rather positive for me. I find clothes I like at consignment store, the pieces of clothing are usually cheaper, and I'm also helping the environment by reusing instead of going out and buying brand new. Because I've had some personal experience with what is being advertised my attention was drawn to it and I was more likely to inquire. This advertisement is aimed at me with good reason, and I must say I was interested.

2 comments:

  1. This was very interesting to me, one because it is very relatable, and two because I love forever21. The style of your writing also is written very well and kept me entertained and want to keep reading which is rare because this is a homework assignment. But very well done. It is good how you used your personal experience and how the advertisement targeted the correct audience. I also liked how you pin pointed the phrase, “Girls like you.” This shows that the advertisement wants to make girls everyone feel the same about the clothes they buy and sell by showing that girls everywhere are doing it and you should too to fit in. Great job!

    ReplyDelete