Monday, October 31, 2011

Appeals to Emotion

Appeal to emotion is a powerful way to make an audience believe what one is trying to argue. Using appeal to emotion is a different way of approaching an argument though making an individual feel an emotion like sadness. According to Epstein, “An appeal to emotion in an argument is just a premise that says, roughly, you should believe or do something because you feel a certain way.” It is sometimes more influential to appeal to ones emotion over logic. An example of appeal to emotion would be the following:

“I just saw a commercial about abused cats and dogs. I had to turn my head away because it was so sad; I even almost started crying! I think I’m going to call and donate money to them.”

This person felt if he or she were to call the company and donate, they would be helping the animals, which they felt sad for.

No comments:

Post a Comment