Friday, November 11, 2011

Understanding Reasoning by Analogy

While going through the different types of reasoning the professor assigned I though reasoning by analogy to be difficult to understand in some ways. After reading through the explanations on this website I was able to understand a lot better.

http://www4.samford.edu/schools/netlaw/dh2/logic/analogy.htm

Before reading this website I wasn’t aware that reasoning by analogy was a type of inductive reasoning. To break down the concept an analogy is comparing two things that are similar to explain one of the things. The structure is like this:

X is like Y or B is similar to C.

An example of this in day to day life would be in a situation where someone felt that giving an analogy would better prove their point, rather than a straight definition.

“There is nothing like going to Hawaii in the spring, it’s truly like heaven on earth.”

This person is comparing Hawaii to heaven, this gives the person listening the idea of how amazing Hawaii is in the spring.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. I really liked your example, even for my own post i was having a bit of trouble finding examples to prove my point, but your deffiniton and example actually made Reasoning by analogy clearer to me and easier to understand. You also posted a great website, it seemed very straight forward and seemed like a great tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I really like how you provided a link to where you found your information. This helped me a lot in understand long the concept better, and I with that I would have used thi website before I published my posts. It was helpful how you included that reasoning by analogy is a type of inductive reasoning. Your example with comparing a vacation to Hawaii is like heaven on earth is a good analogy and a very accurate way of using it. I also like how you included that analogies are situations where you are trying to prove a point rather than a straight definition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information. I really like how you have provided refrence. Your post has helped ma a lot in understanding the topic. I didn't get it before. After reading your post i understood it better. You have given a great example. I like how you used the analogy to prove your point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the other people in the class who commented on this post. This post provided excellent information and showed an excellent understanding of the topic and chapters. The posting of the link as well as your own understanding proved that you truly care about the information and class. I actually struggled with this topic and sought the assistance of your blog post to assist me in my understanding. Also great use of the analogies to prove your point and make it easier to grasp rather than straight definitions as Britt92 said. Great work and thank you Lindsey Town.

    ReplyDelete